Friday, August 6, 2010

The Wednesday Wars

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt: Book Cover

Published Information

Author: Gary D. Schmidt
Published: May 2007
Genre: Historical Novel
Pages: 272

Ratings

Violence: G
Sexual Content: PG
Language: G
Reading Age: Junior high (Elementary would even be ok, but much of history in book might be missed)
Buy Recommend: Hardbound (Great feel good book, many in my family have read and will read again)
Overall Rating: 9 out of 10 (One of the best books I have read in a long time)

Plot Summary

Main Chars: Holling, Mrs Baker, Heather (sister), Meryl Lee

The book is set in the late sixties, during the Vietnam war, in New York. Holling Hoodhood is a seventh grader who is convinced that teachers are out to get him, in particular, Mrs. Baker. He assumes they arrange schedules and make assignments specifically to torture their students. Especially, him. However, as any teacher will tell you, this is not the case.

On Wednesdays, most of his class is off early in the afternoon to attend either Jewish or Catholic services for youth. Holling, being Presbyterian, goes to neither of these, so has to stay in class. He is the only one. So Mrs. Baker decides to make use of his time. First, she assigns him busy work like cleaning the erasers for the school. But after a few weeks of this, she decides this is a waste of time and so comes up with another scheme to make Holling miserable. They are going to read Shakespeare together.

Turns out, Holling loves to read. His favorite book is Treasure Island, but can't imagine Shakespeare can be that good. However, as the book moves on, Holling realizes that Shakespeare's plays are very applicable in our life and he begins loving this reading. Holling and Mrs. Baker begin to truly enjoy this time together, and as the year progresses, Holling realizes there is much more to Mrs. Baker, and for that matter, many other people in his life that he either took for granted or dismissed, than meets the eye. She helps him grow up in a much more real sense than his father and mother do.

Comments

I loved this book! Once again, I find that often times, my favorites are books that make me stop and think about my own life. What are my priorities? What are my shortcomings? What can I laugh at in my laugh? This book made me stop and think about each of these, along with many other questions. There are times in the book that I had to put the book down because I was laughing so much. I remember when my wife read the book and she kept laughing. I didn't understand it then, but I do now. As an adult, it is so funny to me to think back on when I was a youth, looking at parents, teachers, other adults, and couldn't understand their motives. As an adult, it is hilarious to see life through the eyes of a seventh grader, when I understand more, now, what the adults are thinking.

There are also times I had to momentarily stop reading because of other emotions it made me feel: sadness, joy, or anger. I love how Superman's father (bear with me a sec…) talks about the great promise we humans show both for good and bad. While there aren't super villains in this book, you still see the good and bad in people. We see people who are insensitive to race, or are diva types, as well as the power of forgiveness and love. Once again… great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment